Saturday, February 19, 2011

Why

During the past week I have been asked several times, "why would you want to be a Special Education teacher?" Much to my surprise, this question has come from existing teachers and assistants. I find myself smiling to myself when I am asked this. Why wouldn't I want to be a special education teacher? Well, the pay is not good. I have to write IEP's. The amount of paperwork is overwhelming. My job doesn't end at 4:00. I most likely have to take homework home with me. I'll need to spend the weekend planning for the following week. And, I'm bound to have at least one student whom I just can't figure out. Aren't those all the amazing things about special ed? Apparently, these quite negative things have become the face of special education. Even teachers in the field of special education question why anyone would want to do what they do. Is it because its an impossible task? No. Is it because they think I'm crazy to join a world of irregularities and instability? Probably.

So I ask myself, why am I doing this? I don't ask this question to find out what my answer is to these people who challenge my future career, but I ask this question to find out the rewarding things that everyone seems to miss about special ed. I'm doing this because I want to make a difference. If I can change the life of just ONE student, I will be satisfied. I do this to see the smile on the face of a student who finally "gets it". I do this to put together the pieces of a child with autism. I do this to see a parent and a child be able to communicate. I do this to see a student write their name. I follow this career path because the smallest steps can be the biggest reward. I teach because I can help a student discover who they are. I can be and can provide the most stable thing that some students have ever experienced. I can encourage, I can motivate. I have a passion for students who don't quite fit in with the picture perfect normal mold. I don't want to teach a normal, boring classroom. I want a challenge. I don't want to know what to expect each day.

So maybe I want to write IEP's (just kidding!). Maybe I want to take my work home with me. Maybe I'll have to plan on the weekends. Maybe my first year of teaching will be my worst year ever. Maybe if that is true, I'll come out on the other side a teacher who won't ask education majors, "why would you choose to be a special education teacher?"

A strange request, isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. You are going to put the pieces together for so many students who truly need you to make a difference in their lives.

    ReplyDelete